I have the best father-in-law in the world.
Here is my Top Ten List of what I love about Dad Atkins:
10. He passed his handsome gene down to my handsome husband.
9. He is a prankster and loves to pull pranks on us girls. Remind me to tell you about the frog in Hawaii.
8. He is a student of his children. Like Mom, he looks for what we are interested in and joins us there. My favorite gifts from him are the two magazines subscriptions, Popular Photography and Wine Spectator.
7. Sometimes Dad will send me an email with a link he thought I’d be interested in, something to do with photography or something he found funny and thought I would too.
such as this cookbook holder I mentioned one Saturday and it lived on my kitchen counter the next! And no, we are not making those.
See how handy it is!? Ok, maybe we are making those.
4. In a culture of throw away marriages, he is a faithful husband and would give Mom the moon if she asked for it. He has lead his family by example when it comes to longevity in marriage.
3. Whenever we see them, Dad always asks about my parents, each of the kids, my job, and sometimes my opinion. Sometimes he’s sorry he asked, (about my opinion) but not usually.
2. He raised 4 boys into 4 strong men who love their wives and love their kids and honor their father. And I got the handsome one.
This is where I’m supposed to say, “and the number one reason I love my father-in-law ISSSsss…” , but this isn’t the number one reason, there are too many reasons to really make one the most important, but this one is very big for me:
1. When a little time has passed since we’ve seen each other, he doesn’t hesitate to make the first move and call or email and express his desire to see us. I love feeling pursued. It reminds me of how God chases after us and wants to be in relationship.
Happy Father’s Day! I’m so thankful you’re my other Dad.