Five things you may not know:
1. I will be 49 in 16 days. Ok, you already know this because I’ve already told you, but what you don’t know is that I don’t feel a day older than 25. I feel exactly the same as I did in my twenties! How is this possible? Sure, I have a hot flash now and again. And again. And again. And I forget things once in a while, but honestly? Inside, down in my soul, my being…I feel no older than I was in high school. Again, I ask, how is this possible!!!??? So, my point: If I act a little immature, a little less than wise, maybe goofy now and again, just remember I keep forgetting that I’m almost 49, which, let’s face it, is way closer to 50 than it is to say, 30 or even 40.
p.s. Also, I remember when Grandma Tate was about 80 years old, she told me this exact same thing, that her body feels older and and has creaks and aches, but inside she feels like a 20 year old.
2. It doesn’t bother me in the least to be this close to 50. Don’t ask me why. It should. But it doesn’t. It actually feels normal. Right, somehow. Maybe ask me one year from now how I feel about it, but so far, I don’t have a problem with getting older.
3. Even though I’m practically 50 years old, I don’t feel very wise.
I feel very young and very inexperienced, and far from wise…until a young friend sends me a text message with a symptom of her pregnancy that is uncomfortable and I know exactly what to tell her, how to help her. And another beautiful woman comes to me for marriage advice and I know without a doubt what to say, and all of a sudden it hits me. I do have some wisdom that has been hard-earned and valid and smart. And no bragging here, but it feels amazing to look back and see the storms, the mountains, the valleys I’ve weathered and know, that God has indeed blessed me, and I do have something to pass on to the younger women, girls, children, toddlers and babies that He brings into my life.
4. When I was a little girl I thought 50 was old. OLD. My Grandparents were 50 at that time, for goodness sakes!!
I’m the little girl on my Grandma’s lap in this photo. Ok, I just did the math, and I look to be about 2 years old here, which means this photo was taken about 47 ears ago. My Grandma is 96. That makes her 49 in this photo. Um…that’s how old I will be in 16 days. For the record, I do not feel as old as I picture her in this photo. And probably she didn’t either, which means….omg. Really? Do I look this old!?
5. I’m having a little anxiety attack now thinking I look as old as my Grandma Tate, and I need my Daughter, Daughter-in-law, future daughter-in-law, my sister, my parents, all my homies (girlfriends, SEE? I wouldn’t say HOMIES if I were OLD) to comment and tell me I don’t look as old as my Grandma Tate!!!!!
Raise your glass to: Happy 5 on Friday.
May we all be as young as we feel and as wise as our age.